Wednesday, August 27, 2014

No 'great purge' : why there is no recycling in this part of Virginia

I certainly believe in recycling!  A long time ago - before there was mandatory curbside pickup of stuff in my native NJ - my Dad and I would go out on the nights before garbage pickup and throw in the car, bundled newspapers:  then, back at the house, we had old wooden boards in the carport, where we would stack them up:  when they got big enough, we'd load the car and take it down to the recycling plant, off the tail end of Meadow Road, and that would be my allowance ....

My favorite recycling location was Lexington, Kentucky:  one big blue bucket that easily moved on wheels to the kerb that took EVERYTHING!  And believe you me!  I recycled everything - including toilet paper rolls - EVERYTHING!!!

Then, I moved here.

There is a dumpster that takes all the garbage for the landfill, including furniture and car parts, that we pay $13 a month for ... a while back, I even spoke to the Mayor of this small town:  in order to recycle, I'd have to get my own tiny blue bucket at city hall and drag it to the kerb (no wheels) - no one can tell me why the so-called Green Earth company - that provides recycling dumpsters for businesses in this same area! - won't do so for apartment complexes!!!

I really do feel bad about just adding to the landfill and just adding to the landfill! ... and this, combined with my recent financial pinch, made me think back to the early and yes they were fun! days with my beloved Dad ... and I looked at my stack of newspapers (which the animal shelter in Harrisonburg doesn't want, either - the one in Lexington always did!) .... 

First, I checked the website:  tied with string, it said ... ok - I went to Ace hardware and invested in biodegradable twine ... and then I wrapped two bundles:  I didn't want to do the hard work of offloading all my newspapers at once, if for whatever reason this didn't work out ...

THEY DON'T PAY YOU FOR RECYCLING!!!  WHAT'S WORSE IS - YOU WALK UP THESE RICKETY METAL STEPS AND WALK INTO A TRACTOR TRAILER - AND NONE OF THE NEWSPAPERS ARE TIED - THEY'RE LOOSELY THROWN ABOUT!!!

Virginia, I'm gravely disappointed in you!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment