Sunday, August 3, 2014

Book review (so far) //// Date-linked personal sharing

One of the many books that have bookmarks in them, that I am currently reading, is Nancy Horan's "Loving Frank" (which - as almost all fiction does that crosses my desk - comes along recommended) ... It is a slow read, in the sense that you have Lindt's chocolate now, and not something grabbed in a breathy hurry from the dollar-store counter! ... There are sentences that just rivet me - I underline them; I tease them across the suddenly-sensitive teeth on the bottom front, ruminate them over in my mind -- here's one (below), which is the cause for the second half of this blog sharing --

"That lately, when her husband came into the same room, she felt as if the air had been sucked out of it."

The upcoming 5th marks a wedding anniversary - thankfully, one I've been able to divert attention from by a dear friend's birthday being on the 4th!!!  ... This sentence - oh yes ... this is what happened in our marriage -- this is what it became, this quote right here!!!  Let me explain, if I can :

He would walk into the front door ... he would come back inside from the back door (when we had the house and he was out there with the doggy's) ... he would come back into my father's house (when we were there visiting, and let's say he had gone to a meeting and I'd elected to stay put) ... he would stride purposefully and heavy-threaded down the stairs in my father's house, to my 'it's always been my inner sanctum', the basement, where I was reading or coffeeing .... 

It was as if he was taking the air out of me, and as many 'wrong thoughts' (in his not-so-humble opinion) out of me by sheer force of his presence - I would feel it; I would smile AND I would drape my arms across my book, trying to save the words before he loomed over the top of me and tried to extract them by kissing me, his eyes wandering for any 'key words' he could see in print that would alarm him - 'she's veering off course!  warning, warning!!!'  .... Or I would turn the page in my notebook ... or hit my version of a 'kill switch' on the computer ... which interestingly enough was always in the center of our living spaces -- not so he could 'suck air', but actually, ironically, to facilitate conversation

which is a little hard to do, of course, if you're having trouble breathing ;-

I'm enjoying the book ... and , a not so frequent occurance for me, I'm actually grateful today to be single --

thank you, Ms. Nancy Horan!

No comments:

Post a Comment