Wednesday, September 6, 2017

A girl I knew .......

The older I get, and the more I learn, the more I realize that - in too many situations to ignore! - that some of the kids I grew-up with that were "the problem kid"s, the 'not so academically inclined', really had something else altogether going on.  I want to say that I sincerely hope with my generation, this won't go on any more ... but I kind of know better.  So - in honor of 'a girl I knew', and others, I want to write a post on what has a broader name nowadays, to reflect the broader aspects it affects, and list its characteristics:

Fetal alcohol spectrum disorders

Specific facial and body features, that are best described by a google search to show pictures (I'm sure you'll take one look and say, also, "hey, that's " ....)

Impaired fine motor skills hearing loss, poor gaitclumsiness, poor eye-hand coordination.
  • Learning disabilities
  • Hyperactive behavior
  • Difficulty with attention
  • Poor memory
  • Difficulty in school (especially with math)
  • Learning disabilities
  • Speech and language delays
  • Intellectual disability or low IQ
  • Poor reasoning and judgment skills   impulse control.

There is an organization that also guides adults living with this @ :  https://www.nofas.org/adults-living-with-fasd/

No comments:

Post a Comment